The congregation that was to become St. Andrew’s
Presbyterian Church, and later St. Andrew’s United Reformed Church, first met in
an upper room in Fort Street Douglas on March 20th, 1825. At this meeting it
was decided that collections were to be made 'towards fitting up proper church
premises', and the first service was held in the newly constructed building, at
the end of Finch Road, on the last Sunday of April, 1832.
The building was altered in 1867, and that is the way that many people in Douglas remember 'Old St. Andrew's', often known affectionately as The Scots' Kirk.
Despite being known as the Scots' Kirk, St. Andrews was
officially part of The Presbyterian Church of England. After the formation in
1972 of the United Reformed Church, as explained above, the church therefore
became St. Andrew’s United Reformed Church.
The building in Finch Rd. became too expensive for the congregation to maintain during the 1970s but was in a prime site in the middle of the developing ‘Financial District’ of Douglas. After much prayer the congregation decided that the time had come to sell the old church, and move to a smaller, more easily maintained building.
At the same time, the Island’s scouts and guides were also looking for smaller premises, as they were having difficulties with the upkeep of their headquarters at Cunningham House on St. Ninian’s corner. This building was to provide the answer to the prayers of St. Andrew’s congregation, and we celebrated 30 years in this building in 2018.
In the north of the island Trinity United Reformed Church also began as a Presbyterian congregation. They had been in the same building in Waterloo Road in Ramsey for 135 years when, in 2019, they joined with the Ramsey Methodist Church, who also gave up a building on Waterloo Road. The joint congregation now meet in the hall attached to St. Paul's Parish Church in Ramsey.
Is to reach out to welcome all those who would like to worship with us. It is also to reach out with the practical love of God, as shown in our Saviour Jesus Christ, to help our fellow men, women, and children both here on the island and in the world.